Monday, December 14, 2009

Get rid of motion sickness

Would you rather stay at home and sulk than go to a mountain trip with friends or family? Do you consider road trips and trips abroad as ordeals rather than fun activities? Do you associate zigzag roads with nausea and getting intimate with a plastic bag? You must be suffering from motion sickness! I should know, I used to suffer from this malady when I was a child. I abhor long trips that involve riding cars, boats and planes so I couldn’t be more sympathetic if you suffer from this disorder as well. But as I grew older and got the chance to travel more, I discovered several techniques on how to avoid or at least minimize the effect of motion sickness.

Be on the front seat. I’ve noticed that the closer to the front of the car you are, the lesser the effect of motion sickness. This is maybe due to the fact that when you are in front of the vehicle, you can anticipate the zigzag turns.

Look straight ahead. The front horizon doesn’t change much unlike the views on the side windows. Fast moving images of roads, trees, etc. can make you dizzy.

Yawn or do some deep, heavy breathing exercises. Or if the motion sickness is especially strong, do some forceful coughs. It should give you some respite or at least delay the inevitable until the vehicle can stop at an appropriate location. I learned this tip from a jet set friend and it really works!

Try sucking on some ice as the coolness may tend to have a calming effect.

Get some ginger-related products such as ginger candy and ginger ale.

If you really have no choice, there are commercially available drowsy pills that will help to combat motion sickness.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online